There are a few reasons why a video might not be working for you. Here are the details and potential solutions for each issue:
Sad face / Connection was reset
A video is blocked at your school or is displaying a sad face or a message "The connection was reset". It sounds like there is a strong filter in your school. In this case, we recommend a few options:
- Please contact your IT admin and tell him/her to check our Spec Sheet https://support.edpuzzle.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360008274292/Edpuzzle_-_Spec_Sheet.pdf
- You can upload your videos directly to Edpuzzle servers; those videos won't be blocked. You can do this by going to My Content > Add Content > Upload a video.
- You can flip your class. This means that you assign videos to watch at home and you get more time in the classroom.
In the meantime, if we could talk with the IT person in your school, we would love to check if there is anything else we can do to make it work.
When you see a message like this: "This video is restricted. Try signing in with a Google Apps account" it means that your internet network or your Google Apps domain has a filter for YouTube videos. To solve this, please follow these steps:
- Visit YouTube.
- Log in to your school account if you haven't already.
- Click the profile icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen to open the drop down menu.
- At the bottom of the drop-down menu there should be a "Restricted Mode" button. This should be switched to OFF.
Don't see the button? Sometimes the "Restricted Mode" setting is blocked and you as a teacher don't have control over it -- that means that your school/district has enabled this.
If you see a message saying "This video contains content from ____. It is restricted from playback on certain sites…”, this means that the video is restricted from being played on 3rd party sites.
Sometimes these videos can be played on some accounts and not others, but unfortunately, there is legally nothing we can do to lift the restriction, since the creator of the video has control of the settings.
If this is happening to you, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help you find another similar video to use instead!