Take advantage of Edpuzzle’s seamless integration with Canvas to keep all of your video lessons and grades in the same place!
In this article, you'll find sections on:
I. How to Integrate Edpuzzle With Canvas
Set up the integration yourself by following the steps in this article, or forward it to your IT admin or tech support person to install the integration for your whole school or district.
To integrate Edpuzzle with Canvas, you need to follow these steps:
- Log in to Canvas, go to “Courses” and select a class.
- Click on “Settings” from the white menu bar on the left.
- Click on the “Apps” tab.
- Search for the Edpuzzle app in the App Center (type it in the search bar or scroll down until you find it), and click on it.
- Click on the blue “+ Add App” button. This will open a pop-up window.
- Now you'll need two pieces of information: the consumer key and shared secret. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- To find this information, open a new tab or window and log in to or sign up for Edpuzzle (see our article on how to create an account).
- Click on your circular profile icon in the upper right-hand corner, select your name from the dropdown menu to go to your profile, then click on the “School” tab (https://edpuzzle.com/profile?tab=school).
- In the LMS dropdown menu at the bottom of the page, select Canvas.
- Click the “Generate” button to get your consumer key and shared secret.
- Now go back to Canvas.
- Enter the fields for “Consumer Key” and “Shared Secret” and click the blue “Add App” button.
- Refresh the page, and now Edpuzzle will appear in your list of external apps!
If this doesn’t work, just ask your IT admin to follow these exact same steps from their Admin panel in Canvas. You may not have permission as a teacher to add external apps.
Once Edpuzzle has been added to Canvas, all you need to do is select the course of your choice and then click on “Edpuzzle” in the side menu. You’ll be prompted to log in or sign up and away you go – your Edpuzzle class is all set up!
II. How to Assign a Video Lesson on Canvas
To assign an Edpuzzle video lesson on Canvas:
- Go to “Courses” and choose the course you’d like to assign an edpuzzle for.
- Select “Assignments” from the white menu bar on the left.
- Click the blue “+ Assignment” button.
- Give your assignment a title, and in the “Submission Type” drop-down menu, select “External Tool.”
- Click the “Find” button, which will open the “Configure External Tool” pop-up. Select Edpuzzle.
- This will open another pop-up window showing your “My Content” on Edpuzzle (or prompting you to log in if you haven't done so already).
- Select your video lesson by clicking the eye icon in the middle of the video.
- Click the blue “Assign” button, which will return you to the “Configure External Tool” pop-up.
- Click the blue “Select” button to confirm your assignment and close the pop-up.
- Then you can set your due date and click the blue “Save” button to save the assignment (which won't be visible to your students), or the gray “Save & Publish” button to send it to your students.
- Now your video lesson will appear in your list of assignments on Canvas! Your students will start to appear as they click on the assignment link.
Best of all, once students complete the lessons their grades will automatically sync with Canvas!
Note: If you're a teacher using the Canvas app, please note that you won't be able to view edpuzzles using a mobile. On the other hand, you can watch edpuzzles if you're using a tablet.
III. How Students Can Use Edpuzzle Through Canvas
Your students will be able to log in to their Canvas accounts and complete your Edpuzzle video lessons right from there! Here are some things to keep in mind depending on the device they're using:
- For desktop: Students simply need to log in to Canvas and click on the assignment(s) to view your edpuzzles.
- For tablets: Students can use the Canvas app to view your edpuzzles.
- For mobile: Students will need to use both the Canvas and Edpuzzle apps. When they go to watch an edpuzzle through the Canvas app, they'll get a pop-up prompting them to download the Edpuzzle app if they haven't already, or if they have, students will be asked to open it in the Edpuzzle app. When they're finished, they can return to the Canvas app.
IV. Troubleshooting the Edpuzzle Integration on Canvas
Here are some common issues that may come up as you're using the Edpuzzle integration with Canvas and how to solve them.
Where can I find student projects?
At the moment, the student projects feature is unavailable with the Canvas integration.
Why aren't my sections appearing in Edpuzzle?
If you've set up various sections of the same class in Canvas, when you look at your Gradebook on Edpuzzle, all of the students will appear as if they were in the same class. This is because we don't have a sections feature on Edpuzzle, but don't worry – your sections and gradebook in Canvas will still work perfectly!
Canvas Features That Aren't Available With the Edpuzzle Integration
A few features aren't supported with the Edpuzzle Canvas Integration. These include:
- Speed grader. You can still easily grade your students' answers by going to the assignment and clicking on "X answers to be graded."
- Reusing, cloning or importing a previous class. For Edpuzzle assignments, this feature isn't currently available.
Don't see your issue on our list? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help!